August 28 – September 5 1853

  Previous Next 

August 1853

Su 28          wrote my 5 th letter to my
Dear Wife – – – – – – – –

Mo 29         The men divided off into messes.
John & I went down to Nelson Creek
after quitting work & packd up our
provisions & a hard pack in the dark.

Tu 30          Two of the men started a grisly
going to there work about 150 yards
from our tent. We had four guns
but could not get to see him.

We 31         Our digging is not goof this week.

Thu 1          I frequently though of our
marriag 22 years past but workd all day

Fr 2              We are not making expences.

Sat 3           Some clowdy. Commensd rai
ning at dark. My bark coverd
bunk would not keep out the
rain We got under straw

Sept 1853

Bed, but the water run un
der me & on the planks. I got
wet shure. It stopd raining
& I got up built a large fire &
& laid a plank down before it
& took a pair of blankets & doen I lay
before the fire. John staid in the bunk.

Sun 4          Got up soon & went up the ditch
to head 2 1/2 miles.
Frost up here this morning
& john got breck
fast. For dinner we had dride app
le pie for desert. John washd a
shirt a piece & two toels. Afternoon
the man that lost his wife a few
days past shot the one that had her.

Mo 5            He is not ded yet but is thou
ght cannot live. The miners are
trying the man for shooting.1We are trying a new place today
for gold.

  Previous Next 
  1. This incident was also described by Fariss and Smith (pg 210 – 211). A couple by the name of Gilson kept a boarding house on Henpeck Flat. In the fall of 1853, Mrs Gilson ran away with one of their boarders, a Mr. Wilson. A few days later, the abandoned Gilson caught sight of his wife and her lover through a window, seated on together on a sofa. Enraged, he strode up to the window and shot the man inside, in full view of his boarders. A meeting of the miners was called, and nearly a thousand men gathered; jury, judge and clerk were selected, a trial held and Gilson acquitted. The victim, Wilson, survived the incident, and, after his recovery, left the region. Mrs Gilson returned to her home in Michigan for a time, but later reunited with her husband.