February 25 – February 28 1855

Previous Next

Feb 55

I learnd from Whitney that the
vigilence committy1 had calld a
meeting yesterday & had added 10
moore to their number making 25
in all & are determind to resist the
civil law in the case of Capt Fagan
as the Grand Jury found a gree bill
against the vig committty 3 weeks
since, it commensd snowing late
This evening & was at it when I turnd in

mo 26         & was at it this morning. 4 of us
went up the ditch to put some new
timber a cross the ditch to hold up the
covering that had been broke down
by the big snow we had at christm
as times we finishd at noon &
it commensd to rain & contin
ued all evening, after dinner I &
Lawrance went up again &
calld the long floom cleand
out the rocks & snow out of the
ditch as we came home the water
nearly down to the reservoy —

3 days work down on the ditch

Feb 55

Tu 27          clowdy & warm last kt not
mutch rain fell the snow is ful
ly half gone of 10 or 12 inches deep
& is warm & clowdy all day
with out rain, the wate made
its way down to the diggins
by 1/2 past 1 evening not enou
ghf to work with. I John &
shaw went up the ditch to
see what was the mother
all right except the ground
soaks up so mutch water

We 28         commensd raining last
kt after dark & continued
all kt & all day to day very
quite hard, the snow is quite
gone from about here we
all went to work except
Lloyd we got gold 2 1/2$ sin
shults is at work for me

Previous Next
  1. The Nelson Creek vigilance committee was in being from 1853. Though not as active as other vigilante groups at the time, the committee gave a number of notices to individuals they considered undesirable. In 1854, the group tried John Baxter in the stabbing death of Peter Taffe. After acquitting Baxter, they assisted him in escaping the authorities, angering local officials. In the winter of 1854 – 55, the committee again sought to eject several undesirable individuals from the community, and in the course of their actions, laid themselves open to a charge of robbery. Around this time, February 1855, many of the most influential men in Nelson Point were indited on this charge, including James Sherwin, J.S. Roots, Ed Sterling and others. All were baled out almost immediately, except for James Sherwin, who stubbornly refused to give bonds and remained in the Quincy jail until April. (Fariss and Smith, pg. 214 – 15.)